Device not detected in Windows Service U.are.U 4500

General information about Neurotechnology and its software

Device not detected in Windows Service U.are.U 4500

Postby dloubser » Jul 04, 2017 18:28

Hi,
I am using VeriFinger SDK 10 on Windows 10 VB.net 2017. I have a Windows application which works well and using the code below will pick up 3 devices 1. Microphone, 2. Webcam, 3. U.are.U 4500.
When using the exact same code in my windows service I only get the first 2 devices but not the U.are.U 4500. I have duplicated everything onto the service including the references and all the files are copied directly to the debug directories.
I don"t get any errors. Only difference is the working project is a Windows Forms application and the non working one is a Windows Service.

Code:
Dim client As New NBiometricClient()
client.UseDeviceManager = True
client.Initialize()

Thanks.
dloubser

Re: Device not detected in Windows Service U.are.U 4500

Postby vaidasz » Jul 07, 2017 11:04

dloubser wrote:Hi,
I am using VeriFinger SDK 10 on Windows 10 VB.net 2017. I have a Windows application which works well and using the code below will pick up 3 devices 1. Microphone, 2. Webcam, 3. U.are.U 4500.
When using the exact same code in my windows service I only get the first 2 devices but not the U.are.U 4500. I have duplicated everything onto the service including the references and all the files are copied directly to the debug directories.
I don"t get any errors. Only difference is the working project is a Windows Forms application and the non working one is a Windows Service.

Code:
Dim client As New NBiometricClient()
client.UseDeviceManager = True
client.Initialize()

Thanks.

Hello,

This is expected behavior when the Digital Persona scanners and Windows Services are used. To be able to use the Digital Persona scanner in service you need to set the “interaction with Desktop” in that service and this option is removed by Microsoft since the Windows Vista/7. We had a customer who had a similar issue when he migrated from WinXP to Win7 and we contacted the Digital Persona for the solution, but they weren’t able to provide a one for this issue.
One of my colleagues have done the test with Windows Services about a month ago. And he confirmed that U.are.U 4000 and U.are.U 4500 scanners could not be found using Windows Services. However, the newer scanners (U.are.U 5100 and U.are.U 51600) were found by Windows Services.
So in your case there will be only solution to change scanners or do not use as service.
Vaidas Z
Neurotechnology
vaidasz
Neurotechnology

Postby dwmolina » Jul 20, 2017 00:05

Hi,

I am having a similar issue with a Futronic FS88H finger scanner. I build a sample application that works well in windows 10, but when I run it in Windows 7 it isn"t working. It doesn"t detect the finger scanner.
I have tried the samples that comes with the SDK too and they work well in Windows 10 but when I run them in Windows 7 they don"t detect the scanner.

My application is a Java Application and I have tried abis-sample, devices-sample and my own Java application in both Operating Systems.

I have copied ftrScanAPI.dll and NdmFutronic.dll to C:\Neurotec\Win32_x86\NdmFutronic directory, then I included (C:\Neurotec\Win32_x86) in the PATH environment variable. By the way, all the DLL files needed are in the C:\Neurotec\Win32_x86 directory. I have made this in both Operating Systems mentioned above.

My dev enviroment:
SDK10
JDK 8u141
Windows 7 (32BIT)

Thanks.
dwmolina

Postby MartynasV » Jul 21, 2017 11:55

dwmolina wrote:Hi,

I am having a similar issue with a Futronic FS88H finger scanner. I build a sample application that works well in windows 10, but when I run it in Windows 7 it isn"t working. It doesn"t detect the finger scanner.
I have tried the samples that comes with the SDK too and they work well in Windows 10 but when I run them in Windows 7 they don"t detect the scanner.

My application is a Java Application and I have tried abis-sample, devices-sample and my own Java application in both Operating Systems.

I have copied ftrScanAPI.dll and NdmFutronic.dll to C:\Neurotec\Win32_x86\NdmFutronic directory, then I included (C:\Neurotec\Win32_x86) in the PATH environment variable. By the way, all the DLL files needed are in the C:\Neurotec\Win32_x86 directory. I have made this in both Operating Systems mentioned above.

My dev enviroment:
SDK10
JDK 8u141
Windows 7 (32BIT)

Thanks.

Hello dwmolina,

Is device detected by windows device manager? What driver version is it using(can be checked via properties)?
Martynas V
Neurotechnology
MartynasV
Neurotechnology

Postby dwmolina » Jul 21, 2017 22:49

The driver's version is: 4.0.1.5
The driver´s date is: 05/05/2010

Firstly I installed it directly from the driver's EXE file downloaded from FUTRONICS web site. It didn't function, so I installled via Windows Update to try it again and it failed too.
Windows Update installed the version I mentioned above and that's I have.

Windows device manager detects the scanner as "Futronic USB Fingerprint Scanner Device". Even I can see it in the list of "Devices and Printers" at the Windows Control Panel.

By the way, I am trying in a laptop computer HP ProBook 4420s, Windows 7 Spanish Version.

----
dwmolina

Postby MartynasV » Jul 24, 2017 11:09

dwmolina wrote:The driver's version is: 4.0.1.5
The driver´s date is: 05/05/2010

Firstly I installed it directly from the driver's EXE file downloaded from FUTRONICS web site. It didn't function, so I installled via Windows Update to try it again and it failed too.
Windows Update installed the version I mentioned above and that's I have.

Windows device manager detects the scanner as "Futronic USB Fingerprint Scanner Device". Even I can see it in the list of "Devices and Printers" at the Windows Control Panel.

By the way, I am trying in a laptop computer HP ProBook 4420s, Windows 7 Spanish Version.

----

Hello dwmolina,

I have tested this scanner with identical drivers on Windows 7 and everything works. Run "SDK\Bin\Win32_x86\DevicesSampleCS.exe", if it detects scanner, then run "SDK\Bin\Java\devices-sample.bat"(note that those applications should not be removed from SDK structure for this test). If this test was successful, then I guess that your program fails to load ndm plugin. Run your application and check from where native dll are loaded(you can use Process Explorer for that), then make sure that "SDK\Bin\Win32_x86\FScanners\NdmFutronic" is present in that directory. You can check what plugins are loaded and get names: NPluginManager.getInstances()[0].getPlugins().get(0).getFileName().
Martynas V
Neurotechnology
MartynasV
Neurotechnology

Postby dan_dantei » Aug 14, 2017 13:41

I had the same problem. Seems like there is a problem when reading both Neurotechnology Devices DigitalPersona U.are.U and Neurotechnology Devices DigitalPersona U.are.U One Touch modules for the 4500 device DLL.
I found that the scanner works fine when ONLY using the DigitalPersona U.are.U One Touch Module.

Try removing the DigitalPersonaUareU folder under location ..inwin64_x64FScanners if your system is a 64-bit system or ..inwin32_x86FScanners if it is 32-bit system.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
dan_dantei

Return to Public