NFaceVerification with Android 9/Pie

General information about Neurotechnology and its software

NFaceVerification with Android 9/Pie

Postby jyriaado » Oct 18, 2018 15:38

Hello,

I am a new user of your fine Android SDK (Neurotec Biometric 10.0 SDK Trial). I created a proof of concept face verification app, that uses NFaceVerification.

It is working great on all Android Devices I have tested, except OnePlus 6 with Android 9/Pie (Android8 on same device worked ok).

So it seems there is something with Android 9 that makes the SDK break. There is a crash on the point when the SDK is trying to access the camera. I have not been able to find any more specific error code or message. I have tried also the sample apps multibiometric-sample.apk and face-verification-sample.apk, with same result - they crash when enroll button is pressed.

Is there any suggestion of workaround or fix?

I like the library a lot and the results have been great so would like to continue using that (already ordered the licenses also).

Jürgen
jyriaado

Re: NFaceVerification with Android 9/Pie

Postby MartynasV » Oct 22, 2018 10:52

jyriaado wrote:Hello,

I am a new user of your fine Android SDK (Neurotec Biometric 10.0 SDK Trial). I created a proof of concept face verification app, that uses NFaceVerification.

It is working great on all Android Devices I have tested, except OnePlus 6 with Android 9/Pie (Android8 on same device worked ok).

So it seems there is something with Android 9 that makes the SDK break. There is a crash on the point when the SDK is trying to access the camera. I have not been able to find any more specific error code or message. I have tried also the sample apps multibiometric-sample.apk and face-verification-sample.apk, with same result - they crash when enroll button is pressed.

Is there any suggestion of workaround or fix?

I like the library a lot and the results have been great so would like to continue using that (already ordered the licenses also).

Jürgen

Hello Jürgen,

We are aware of this issue(our SDK doesn't work on Android 9.0 version) and our developers are working on fixing this. I hope we will have fix soon.
Martynas V
Neurotechnology
MartynasV
Neurotechnology

Postby MartynasV » Dec 04, 2018 10:21

Hello,

There is new SDK update(revision: 186632, version: 10, release date: 2018/12/01), which can be downloaded from our website, in which issues with Android 9.0 should be fixed.
Martynas V
Neurotechnology
MartynasV
Neurotechnology

Postby jyriaado » Jan 08, 2019 17:14

Hello,

I downloaded and tested FaceVerification with Neurotec_Biometric_10_0_SDK_2018-12-01, however FaceVerification still crashes with Oneplus 6 (Android 9.0.2). I have tested with armeabi-v7a libraries (copied over from new SDK libjnidispatch.so, libNBiometricClient.so, libNCore.so, libNBiometrics.so, libNDevices.so, libNFaceVerification.so, libNGui.so, libNLicensing.so, libNMedia.so, libNMediaProc.so, libopenblas.so) and jars (copied over from new SDK jna.jar, neurotec-biometrics-android.jar, neurotec-biometrics-client-android.jar, neurotec-core-android.jar, neurotec-devices-android.jar, neurotec-devices-media-android.jar, neurotec-face-verification-android.jar, neurotec-face-verification-gui-android.jar, neurotec-gui-android.jar, neurotec-licensing-android.jar, neurotec-media-android.jar, neurotec-media-processing-android.jar).

I have licenses for Android FaceExtractor, Android FaceMatcher, FaceVerification.

The Exception is
E/Surface: Surface::unlockAndPost failed, no locked buffer
E/AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: Thread-8
Process: ee.mycompany.myapp, PID: 11629
at ANativeWindow_unlockAndPost
--- End of external call stack ---
--- End of native stack trace ---
External error occurred
ExternalError: -38
at com.neurotec.lang.RuntimeErrorCreator.create(RuntimeErrorCreator.java:54)
at com.neurotec.lang.ChainedErrorCreator.create(ChainedErrorCreator.java:22)
at com.neurotec.lang.NError.get(NError.java:174)
at com.neurotec.lang.NError.get(NError.java:191)
at com.neurotec.lang.NError.getLast(NError.java:205)
at com.neurotec.lang.NResult.checkUnchecked(NResult.java:235)
at com.neurotec.lang.NResult.raiseError(NResult.java:323)
at com.neurotec.lang.NResult.check(NResult.java:224)
at com.neurotec.view.NViewBase.drawImage(NViewBase.java:66)
at com.neurotec.face.verification.view.NFaceVerificationView.access$1000(NFaceVerificationView.java:37)
at com.neurotec.face.verification.view.NFaceVerificationView$NImageTextureView$ImageRenderThread.run(NFaceVerificationView.java:726)
W/OPDiagnose: getService:OPDiagnoseService NULL
D/OSTracker: OS Event: crash
Application terminated.

I think the Exception was same as before on this device.

Same app works ok on Samasung Galaxy S7 (Android 7).

Is there any chance you can double check the FaceVerification on Android(OxygenOS) 9.0.2 on Oneplus 6?

Thanks
Jürgen
jyriaado

Postby MartynasV » Jan 09, 2019 16:35

jyriaado wrote:Hello,

I downloaded and tested FaceVerification with Neurotec_Biometric_10_0_SDK_2018-12-01, however FaceVerification still crashes with Oneplus 6 (Android 9.0.2). I have tested with armeabi-v7a libraries (copied over from new SDK libjnidispatch.so, libNBiometricClient.so, libNCore.so, libNBiometrics.so, libNDevices.so, libNFaceVerification.so, libNGui.so, libNLicensing.so, libNMedia.so, libNMediaProc.so, libopenblas.so) and jars (copied over from new SDK jna.jar, neurotec-biometrics-android.jar, neurotec-biometrics-client-android.jar, neurotec-core-android.jar, neurotec-devices-android.jar, neurotec-devices-media-android.jar, neurotec-face-verification-android.jar, neurotec-face-verification-gui-android.jar, neurotec-gui-android.jar, neurotec-licensing-android.jar, neurotec-media-android.jar, neurotec-media-processing-android.jar).

I have licenses for Android FaceExtractor, Android FaceMatcher, FaceVerification.

The Exception is
E/Surface: Surface::unlockAndPost failed, no locked buffer
E/AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: Thread-8
Process: ee.mycompany.myapp, PID: 11629
at ANativeWindow_unlockAndPost
--- End of external call stack ---
--- End of native stack trace ---
External error occurred
ExternalError: -38
at com.neurotec.lang.RuntimeErrorCreator.create(RuntimeErrorCreator.java:54)
at com.neurotec.lang.ChainedErrorCreator.create(ChainedErrorCreator.java:22)
at com.neurotec.lang.NError.get(NError.java:174)
at com.neurotec.lang.NError.get(NError.java:191)
at com.neurotec.lang.NError.getLast(NError.java:205)
at com.neurotec.lang.NResult.checkUnchecked(NResult.java:235)
at com.neurotec.lang.NResult.raiseError(NResult.java:323)
at com.neurotec.lang.NResult.check(NResult.java:224)
at com.neurotec.view.NViewBase.drawImage(NViewBase.java:66)
at com.neurotec.face.verification.view.NFaceVerificationView.access$1000(NFaceVerificationView.java:37)
at com.neurotec.face.verification.view.NFaceVerificationView$NImageTextureView$ImageRenderThread.run(NFaceVerificationView.java:726)
W/OPDiagnose: getService:OPDiagnoseService NULL
D/OSTracker: OS Event: crash
Application terminated.

I think the Exception was same as before on this device.

Same app works ok on Samasung Galaxy S7 (Android 7).

Is there any chance you can double check the FaceVerification on Android(OxygenOS) 9.0.2 on Oneplus 6?

Thanks
Jürgen

Hello,

This is different issue, it is caused by how our drawing is implemented.

Please download FaceVerification 11.0 version SDK(https://www.neurotechnology.com/downloa ... cation_sdk) and test, new implementation of drawing is present in this SDK to solve 9.0 Android compatibility.
Martynas V
Neurotechnology
MartynasV
Neurotechnology

Postby jyriaado » Jan 14, 2019 10:22

Hi Martynas

I confirm that the sample APK that comes with the FaceVerification sdk 11_00 (face-verification-sample-android-armeabi-v7a-debug.apk) works ok on Android 9.0.2 (Oneplus 6).

Is there any way you could fix the sdk 10 also, because I see that in sdk 11, the API and licensing have heavily changed (no standard licensig model). I already bought the licenses for sdk 10, and would not buy again, if possible.

Best
Jürgen
jyriaado

Postby MartynasV » Jan 21, 2019 15:47

jyriaado wrote:Hi Martynas

I confirm that the sample APK that comes with the FaceVerification sdk 11_00 (face-verification-sample-android-armeabi-v7a-debug.apk) works ok on Android 9.0.2 (Oneplus 6).

Is there any way you could fix the sdk 10 also, because I see that in sdk 11, the API and licensing have heavily changed (no standard licensig model). I already bought the licenses for sdk 10, and would not buy again, if possible.

Best
Jürgen

Hello,

Is there any way you could fix the sdk 10 also

That is our plan, it should be fixed with next 10.0 version update(don't have date yet).
, because I see that in sdk 11, the API and licensing have heavily changed (no standard licensig model).

The licensing is the same, just there were few changes, the biggest one would be on Android(from license per device changed to license per application(sandbox)).
I already bought the licenses for sdk 10, and would not buy again, if possible.

All our customers can update to the latest SDK for free and old licenses will work with newest SDK versions. So you can download and use 11.0 SDK for free.
Martynas V
Neurotechnology
MartynasV
Neurotechnology

Return to Public