MegaMatcher Automated Biometric Identification System
Turnkey multi-biometric solution for national-scale identification projects
MegaMatcher Automated Biometric Identification System is a complete system for the deployment of large-scale multi-biometric projects. The modular and customizable solution provides services for high-performance, scalable systems with multiple parallel transactions.
The solution is intended for national-scale projects, like biometric voter registration with records deduplication, passport issuing, border control, as well as other civil or criminal AFIS/ABIS.
Available as on-premise solution and as cloud service.
On-premise System Architecture and Components
Large-scale biometric projects may have specific system requirements. MegaMatcher Automated Biometric Identification System (ABIS) features modular architecture, which allows to adapt to different functional and performance requirements.
MegaMatcher ABIS 11.1 is available as on-premise solution, which is described on this page, and as cloud service.
MegaMatcher ABIS 11.1 on-premise solution includes these services and applications:
- MegaMatcher ABIS Client Application
- MegaMatcher ABIS API
- Management Service
- Image Processing Service
- Matching Service
MegaMatcher ABIS Client Application
MegaMatcher ABIS Client Application is a modular web-based application designed to operate with the MegaMatcher ABIS solution. It provides the following functionalities:
Identity Management – provides the following functionalities:
Enrollment – registration of person's biometric and demographic data with the following features:
- Multi-biometric capture – supports fingerprint, palmprint, face and iris biometric modalities. A wide range of biometric devices is supported, including more than 150 fingerprint readers and iris scanners models, as well as out-of-the-shelf web and IP cameras.
- Demographic data – allows to specify name, sex, date of birth, address, as well as other data fields, which are unlimited and can be customized.
- Live registration – person's biometric and demographic data are entered into the system in real time from stationary or mobile enrollment stations.
- Data import – the system provides means to import a batch of biometric data from image files, which were captured in the field or taken from another system.
- Quality check – evaluation of image quality based on standard and proprietary algorithms
- ICAO compliant facial image capturing – checks image pixelation, washed out colors, background uniformity, face darkness, skin tone, skin reflections, glasses reflections, red eyes and looking away eyes. The red eyes can be corrected automatically.
- Update – personal records can be refilled or changed at any time with new biometric and demographic data.
- Delete – personal records, which are outdated or incorrect, can be deleted
- Demographic and biometric search – allows to find particular person not only by name or surname, but also by face, fingerprint, palmprint and iris biometric records.
- Enrollment – registration of person's biometric and demographic data with the following features:
Adjudication – a visual tool designed for operators to examine questionable biometric matching results, which are forwarded by the Matching Service, and take appropriate decisions.
The questionable matching results, like non-matching templates or detected duplicate(s), are determined by defined restrictions in the System administration module.
The tool provides easy examination of given biometric data by providing detailed templates review.
- Fingerprint, palmprint, face and iris images are shown in side by side or overlapping view with the possibility to transform and enhance biometric images so that some aspects could be seen more clearly.
- Modality-specific features (such as fingerprint minutiae, cores, deltas).
- Matching scores for each biometric modality.
- Problematic fingers.
- Matched data which is highlighted for easier inspection (such as matched minutiae are optionally connected by lines for visualization).
- Age estimation and gender classification are performed automatically to help human operators in resolving questionable cases.
- Latent Fingerprint Editor – a visual tool which provides ability to analyze the fingerprint image, perform automatic and manual enhancements as well as fingerprint feature points management. It is designed for the cases, when automated image processing is unable to extract all minutiae or extracts a lot of false minutiae from a latent fingerprint image (for example, taken from the crime scene). Therefore, an expert should manually edit a fingerprint template in order to submit it to the system for the identification.
System administration – designed to manage and monitor MegaMatcher ABIS system using role-based access control and consists of the following parts:
- System Management – provides ability to manage MegaMatcher ABIS system's state.
- System Monitoring – dedicated for visual MegaMatcher ABIS real-time execution monitoring.
- User Management – dedicated to create and revoke users as well as provide or restrict access permissions to particular MegaMatcher ABIS modules.
- System Configuration – provides ability to define criteria for search engine (such as matching thresholds for identification and verification).
- Report Generation – statistical reports with filtering possibility are provided for full MegaMatcher ABIS actions inspection.
MegaMatcher ABIS Client Application works on Microsoft Windows, Linux, Android and iOS.
MegaMatcher ABIS API
MegaMatcher ABIS API is a web services-based interface (RESTful) designed for easy and quick integration with third-party systems. It provides all necessary functionalities including identity management, adjudication and system administration. Integrators can develop client-side applications using the MegaMatcher ABIS API to meet specific requirements.
MegaMatcher ABIS is designed to maintain system's integrity ensuring that individual operations are executed consistently. The Management Service is the core component of MegaMatcher ABIS responsible for orchestrating the work of all system services and managing the workflow of operations.
Transaction management – each operation forms a transaction which is passed through several stages:
- Validation – ensures the sufficiency of provided biometric and demographic data.
- Data preparation – conducts biometric data quality analysis, adjustments and biometric template extraction.
- Matching – conducts biometric comparison using predefined parameters.
- Adjudication – manual inspection of matching results.
- Workflow management – the ability to adjust operation workflow to meet particular business needs.
- Security – role-based access control ensures that user without privileges will not be able to execute a particular operation.
Image Processing Service
The Image Processing Service is based on MegaMatcher 11.1 biometric template extraction technology. This component is used for biometric data quality assessment and biometric data extraction from fingerprint, palmprint, face and iris images.
These functions are performed by the Image Processing Service:
- Fingerprint segmentation – images with fingerprint slaps are split into separate images with single fingerprints.
- Quality check – images with fingerprints, palmprints, faces and irises are processed by proprietary and standard algorithms to determine their quality and suitability for further processing.
- Fingerprint sequence check – a set of single fingerprints from the same person is checked for duplicates and missing fingerprints.
- Feature extraction – biometric templates are created from the provided fingerprint, palmprint, face and iris images. Optionally, automatic age estimation and gender classification can be performed for a given facial image.
- Age estimation – the age detection from the facial image allows to check if the age corresponds person's demographic data.
The Matching Service is a high-performance biometric engine which performs the following operations:
- Identity verification – matching a biometric template against a selected database record (1-to-1).
- Person identification – matching a biometric template against the whole database (1-to-many).
- Records deduplication – matching all biometric templates in the database against each other (many-to-many). The questionable matching results are resolved via the adjudication procedure, either automatically or by human operators.
The Matching Service is a scalable unit. Multiple units can be arranged into a cluster to meet specific project's performance and capacity requirements.
Taking into account different business needs and specific project requirements, some customization might be required. This may include developing custom user interface, workflow scenarios, person's record structure (biometric and demographic data, additional data fields).
Neurotechnology offers custom project development service for providing a customized MegaMatcher ABIS based solution, as well as implementing additional functionality.